Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Long Arming Activity

 Last week, much to my surprise, I quilted two quilts on the long arm machine. I had no advanced plan to do these quilts. Rather, a sudden impulse propelled me to these quilts, and once begun I didn't want to stop.

First, I put Dusty Trails on the rails. I have always wanted to use this quilt for the fall season on our bed, so I just got busy and quilted it! I shared my doing this quilt in this post from last week.

Just a few days later, I loaded Jelly Filled, the jelly roll quilt I made rather impulsively last month. 

I alluded to taking this giant step in my long arming game when I shared my September collage, but now let me take a moment to go into a bit more depth.

One aspect of making long arming easier is that for both quilts, I used backing fabric that I have on a bolt. Yes, I bought an entire bolt of backing in a very agreeable neutral. By having this on hand, I do not have to cut and measure and piece together backings for quilts. Also, I am not wasting time deciding what fabrics to use for backing. It simplifies things in a major way.

Both quilts are stacked above, and a bit of that neutral backing is peeking through the folds. I also cut the binding from the backing; yet another simplifying tactic. Yay!

Dusty Trails looks so very nice on our bed; it simply exudes all the autumn vibes. I don't have any decent pillow shams to complement this quilt, so that may soon be a quick project to whip up.

Jelly Filled is more of a couch quilt or throw. It will soon have a full reveal here on the blog, but not just yet.

One of my 2023 goals was to quilt every quilt I made new this year. So far I am in the vicinity of 3/11. That's only three quilts quilted and 8 quilts currently NOT quilted.  

Hmmm. I have been wondering if I could push myself to get those remaining 8 quilts quilted by years end. Agghh! I really ought to try.

Whatever I manage, I will certainly have plenty to keep myself busy.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!