Friday, March 23, 2012

Quilt Labels

Thanks to those who offered explanations and suggestions for my brief photo crisis! I was not expecting any troubles, and this completely caught me by surprise. Problem solved; I went with a $5 option. Not too painful.

Today's topic: labels. I confess that I am lazy about labeling the quilts I have made. Nearly all have gone without labels. And I read the admonitions and scoldings from quilt historians, and know the importance of labeling, but still I don't do it.

Until now, perhaps.

You see, the flannel quilt Sharon and I made for our former student with cancer is going to have a label. For some reason I just felt this was a must! And, it was my good fortune to have seen recently on Pinterest the directions for making labels. You will not believe how simple and easy this is.

Materials needed: waxed freezer paper, muslin, iron, computer and printer.



Follow these easy steps:
1. Cut a strip of freezer paper slightly larger than an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper.
2. Cut muslin the same way.
3. Layer the two and cut to exact size.
4. Iron the muslin to the waxy side of the freezer paper.
5. Figure out which way the paper goes through your printer. Mine needs to have the fabric side down.
6. In any program you use, type up a label. I use Microsoft Word. I decided I wanted two labels for the page, so the first was personalized for Alexis. The second one is generic and will be filled in with Pigma Pens when used.




I will trim these down, sew a 1-inch border onto them and then stitch to the back of the intended quilts. For future labels I make, I think I will try to make 4 per page, if I'm making the generic labels. If I make personalized labels, I can do the one personalized, and the other 3 generic. I will also be trying to figure out how to add decorative borders and other artwork. Should be fun! And I have quite a few quilts needing labels, you know?

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!