Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Endless Half-Square Triangles

Sharon and I designated July to be our month of sewing a quilt top using our precious stashes of Roman Holiday, a gorgeous fabric issued over 10 years ago by 3 Sisters/Moda. Both of us collected it, hoarded it, petted it, and have actually used it for some quilts already. But plenty of fabric remained, so we agreed to use this beautiful stuff together this month. It's so much more fun when one has a partner in crime; we encourage one another and keep each other accountable. I highly recommend this to anyone needed a nudge to get going on something.

Sharon is zipping right along with her quilt, Daisy Chain, a pattern designed specifically for jelly rolls. Click here to see her early work

For my version,  after determining that I would make a basket quilt, I found a free pattern that appealed to me on the Moda website; I downloaded it and have now made a good start.



This particular pattern calls for using Moda's Cake Mix recipe - a pad of papers designed for use with a layer cake of fabric. I did not have any layer cakes of Roman Holiday, so even though I bought the Cake Mix pad, I am not using the it. I did however, take from the cake mix the correct dimensions for cutting; I have made significant progress.

Making 704 2" half-square triangles has been something of a daunting task. The process is by no means difficult; it's just that there are sooo many. *sigh*  From a light and dark pair of 5" squares (charm pack size), I can make 8 of these triangles. I feel like an assembly line in producing these. But its very gratifying to see these little buggers pile up.

Triangles cut from 5" pairs of fabric.

Dog ears trimmed. 

Press open, seam allowance to the dark.
Trim to 2 inches.

Trimmings.

More and more and more...

Fully prepped HSTs tossed into a tub.

Neutrals are both printed and solid.

And, still more and more and more...
A careful and conscientious quilter would have kept track of how many of these she'd made. I would not be that quilter. I probably need to make more, but for now I am moving forward with basket construction.

More on that soon!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. When I have a zillion pieces to make for a quilt, I don't keep track either, it's too overwhelming!!! This is going to be so pretty, I love the basket pattern. It's so nice you have a friend sewing along to keep you enthused. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!