Friday, July 6, 2018

Organizing Mountains of Papers

I am a slob, in case anyone wonders. Some seamstresses need totally neat and tidy spaces. Not me. I can function just fine with piles and stacks all around me. Additionally, I have very little skill with organizing. I try, but I cannot for the life of me stay ahead of the clutter.

Here's proof:

The picture above was taken about 2 weeks ago. I was auditioning fabrics for blockheads, and the cutting table was an absolute fright of a mess. I have placed 4 arrows on the picture to indicate places where I had loose papers cluttering an area that was already cluttered. I am a hopeless collector of freebies from the internet and clippings from magazines. I was inundated with all these papers, and no system of keeping them organized.

I am happy to say things have changed, to a great extent, though. I bought a large box of page protectors and found a stack of empty 3-ring binders (we were both teachers and, consequently, have these in bulk quantities).  I moved to a side table and in a rare bout of systematic organizing, I tamed my massive quatities of papers.


Over the course of a few days, look at what I accomplished! Amazing! This is so unlike me!


All the items that I filed are held in plastic page protectors. I separated all into what I considered logical categories. I think I will find that this newly organized material will be easy to navigate - to find what I want when I want it. No wasting of time digging all over the place. (I have that tendency.) I am very pleased with this system! It is so out of character for me, and I am feeling quite smug at having done it!


And my table did get cleaned off, too. Cutting space on both ends has been reclaimed, and (almost) all that clutter has been put away. Whew. Now back to stitching.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. What a difference! Great job on reclaiming precious space, for sure. I can work in a bit of chaos, but when we consolidated 2 homes, my quilt room became the household bill-paying room as well. Definitely 2 activities that don't play well together! It may be interesting to see if you get an added boost of creativity to go with all the time you'll save not having to search endlessly for things you want to work on. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so pleased to know that I'm not alone in making creative messes. You are a kindred soul! The notebooks are available but I'll need to purchase the plastic page protectors. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. I used to keep an immaculate house and now no one would ever think that. I have zero energy from a disability and can only get done absolutely necessary tasks. Luckily, I am getting mental energy finally, so hopefully physical energy will so follow. Congrats on your getting things in order. I'm anxious to see what you will accomplish now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too try to be organised but most times something give way. I have been getting empty shoe boxes from a shoe shop,still need to label but working quite well now my hubby has made me book shelves using wood from pellets. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!