Monday, July 9, 2018

One Pattern; Two Looks

You saw my first blocks of the current Blockheads QAL on the last post. The look those blocks seemed to be creating was quite "busy," and I had the thought that I would be dissatisfied with that chaotic look. For that reason, I pulled out a second set of fabrics to make a tamer version of BH2. It is proving to be quite a study in contrasts.

Version 1

Version 2
Version 1 has all the primary colors and lots of movement in the designs. Version 2 fabric is understated, almost pastel in nature. The designs are subtle as opposed to vivid.  I hope I like the first version when all is said and done, but I know right now I LOVE the second version. It's been fun doing this QAL in two colorways, and I can make minor creative changes as I go - this is something I am seeing the designers do, and many quilters show their changes on the Facebook group page and Instagram. The whole experience has really been fun.

One of the biggest differences to this point is how I handled block 4 with the two colorways. I would not have thought to do this had I not seen similar variations on the social media sites. Take a look - both these blocks are the exact same pattern.


Making this block gave me more to consider than any to date; I spent a good bit of time studying the blocks made and shared by others before beginning my own. I like the way each one turned out, too, and I hope I continue to be challenged as future blocks are released.

And, now that I am working on the block for week 5, this wish is coming true. Block 5 is a whopping-sized block, and I don't have fabric pieces big enough to make it like the original. Some "creative changes" are inevitable.

I am working on block 5 today; sharing to come soon.
Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. The second group of blocks really look different from the first group. This is going to be such an interesting quilt. I'm enjoy reading about all your projects! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!