Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Hillsboro Quilt Show

This past weekend, the quilt guild over in Highland County hosted their quilt show at Hillsboro High School. Since Hillsboro is my hometown, and since I want to see their guild thrive and do well, I try to attend each year. The show is a small one, but I do always enjoy seeing the quilts and visiting the vendors.

Do you ever just have "moods?" I think I was in an antique quilt mood on Friday. While I saw several gorgeous quilts on display, for whatever reason I was particularly enamored with the old ones. Here are two that struck my fancy.

This was called a Horn of Plenty applique. I don't believe I have ever seen this pattern before. Very pretty, and look at the amazing quilting. If memory serves, the tag said it was over 150 years old.


This double wedding ring quilt reminded me of several old quilts that my grandmother made. To my knowledge, she never made a double wedding ring, but she did work with these types of fabrics - most likely feed sacks - in so many of her early quilts.

The quilt above is nothing very spectacular, but I really wanted to photograph it because it would be such a simple quilt to recreate - and fast, as the pieces are large. Only 13 star blocks (the intricate work, but not overly so) and large hourglass blocks for setting. I need to start thinking in terms of fast quilts, as I am not making my way through the fabric stash as quickly as I ought to be. Ha!


The quilt above was the first one I saw as I entered the door. My color doesn't do it justice. The deep burgundy red was very striking, and the whole quilt was just very pleasing to the eye. I found the border to be something quite different from the ordinary. Very nice.

Did I mention vendors? Oh, yes, I did make a small purchase. I found these four fat quarters in a shop and listened to them tell me to take them home with me. No purpose in mind, but they will enhance that stash I mentioned earlier.

Sharon is coming today, and we will continue our work on our Roman Holiday quilts. I will bring you pics of that fun stuff tomorrow.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!