Monday, April 26, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 9


Perhaps you know that the Spring Dreams Sew Along was borne of the collective efforts of three former high school English teachers? Yes, Dee, Sharon, and I all worked side by side at the same high school and formed a wonderful, lasting friendship. 

Quilting English teachers. You might have known that you'd be heading toward something slightly different, am I right? In all the quilting blogs I've read and followed over the years, I don't believe I have ever seen original poetry offered up as reading material. However, you read poetry all the time if you are enjoying the beautiful selvages that are lately appearing on quilting fabrics. Wonderfully creative and evocative images - why, most of us cut them off and toss them in the waste bin. 

Not Dee! She has a "found poem" for us today, taken from selvages on our cutting tables. Sharon and I sent her our selvage sentiments, and then Dee took the whole mish-mash and penned this "found poem" for you today.

         A Bee in My Bonnet

We are fabrics, self-edged*,

An Art Gallery of Division, the Americana Edition, All Rights Reserved

Rocky Mountain Wild, Paris Flea Market, Made in Korea.

Inventory Detail: 100%?  Stock?  Premium Cotton?  Designer?

Preferred Bin; only the best birds sing?

Wander along the path less traveled, A Quilting Life,

Petal Steps, a Travel Daze, Creekside,

A Sun Shower on LuLu Lane, a Jelly Roll Playground.

Feel the difference?

Work Order, Shop Order: recalculate assembly and Quantity Required.

Build with cornerstones and sashing a new arrangement,

A Collection, Dreams.

By D Rice

*with the exception of this play on “selvage” the content is taken from selvages and fabric packaging and descriptions of this quilt-along.

 

Isn't it delightful!?  I have always admired Dee's creativity both in the classroom and beyond. Her unique way of seeing things and discovering meaning challenged her students - and, her next door neighbor in room 114!

Update on our quilting progress?

Yes, Dee informs me that she is stitching as fast as molasses and currently has 24 blocks made. You know, we are in no great rush, here, so if your speed is "molasses" that works just fine. *smile*

I did go ahead and start yet another Spring Dreams quilt. And, yes, I am using Sanctuary by 3 Sisters/Moda. My progress is like molasses, too. I've not gotten very far on this new version because the commission t-shirt quilt has had my attention these past several days. I did, though, sew long strips together. Now I need to press and cut my sub-units.

As is my general way, I like to make a block just to see it. Now I will be satisfied to stitch the rest in chaining fashion; they'll be done in no time. Oh, how dreamy this quilt will be! I am so eager to get back to it.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!