Sunday, November 6, 2022

Pine Tree Quilt Begins

After exhaustive efforts in considering options for pine tree patterns, I have finally settled on one that I think I will like. I still hold out the option of changing my mind, but I did decide that I wanted one made with gazillions of half-square triangles. 

Because those could be made even if I do change the pattern, I have spent the last several days making about 200 HSTs. 

WHEW!

To provide some background, and to remind you regular readers of what I'm doing, this idea for a pine tree quilt came from being in the Rocky Mountains this past June. Looking out from one mountain across a valley and over to the ranges beyond, one gets the sense of the vast, dense forests that blanket the mountains. It is breathtakingly beautiful and it inspired me to try to preserve that incredible beauty in quilt form. 

I've yet to take picture that truly illustrates the vastness of the mountain-covered forests. Try as I might, the cell phone camera just can't do the job adequately.

When I study pictures that attempt to show the density of the forests, I notice that there are multiple shades of green. Sometimes, this is due to shadows; other times the tree varieties differ. Unless we were up in the highest elevations, we did not see snow. Most of the touring around we did would look a lot like the two photos shown above.

So, how to depict this in quilt form? 

The more modern options were appealing to me because they wouldn't require the tedium of endless HSTs. Here is a pattern I seriously considered.

(Google search)

However, I tend to prefer traditional patterns, and I could not give up the idea of a true, old-fashioned Tree Of Life pattern, like this one.

(Google search)

I like the traditional pattern better (for my purposes), but I knew I needed much more green.

Multiple fabric pulls later, I had a nice collection of greens from which to select. 

Also in the depths of the sewing room, I uncovered a roll of triangle papers to aid in accuracy. With so many HSTs required, I knew that this would eliminate issues with matching up points and seams.

Trouble is, I thought I was getting 2.5-inch unfinished triangles, and instead I have 3-inch unfinished triangles. Ugh. Rethinking...

Since I've got 'em all made and cut, I am not turning back. I will try making trees with larger triangles. I have yet to make a test block; I hope I will like it.


Currently I am still in the prepping stage. Cutting all the triangles out, then removing the paper, then pressing them open - it takes awhile. After that, I will proceed with adjusting the remaining block parts to fit these larger triangles.

I still have a lot to do. And I am happily looking forward to seeing how this will turn out. There will be lots of shades of green, brown trunks and even the background will be a different green, I think. I am considering what will suffice. This process is still in the creating stage. 

Is your internal body clock all confused this morning? Mine sure is. Time change always has me a bit 'off' for a day or two. I'll adjust, of course.

Have a great Sunday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!