Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Polka Dots and Posies

You knew, of course, that I spent three days last week at a retreat with some of the Frankfort Girls. We always go to Nelsonville's Needles 'n Pines Retreat House - it has comfortable bedrooms, plenty of space, and close proximity to a fabric store and restaurants (although we eat in, as often as not).

I really have not detailed very fully what I worked on, so let me correct that in today's post. Way back in August, I began making - surprise! - 9-patch blocks with some beautiful florals. I made several with white background fabric, and and equal number with a light blue polka dot fabric. The resulting blocks are gorgeous.


After making several of each versions, I made an equal number of HSTs for setting purposes. I wasn't sure exactly what my setting would be, but I did decide that something interesting could be done with HSTs.

That link above shows two potential layouts for the blocks. I was entirely uncertain about how to proceed, so I did what any self-respecting quilter would do - I put it away for awhile.

I took the whole business to retreat, and found that I still liked the vertical look of the HSTs - which means that the blocks will be set on point. what I will do for side and corner triangles, I do not yet know, but I will figure out something when I get there.

My first idea was to put the blue 9-patches in the blue columns, and the white 9-patches in the white columns, like you see laid out below.

This creates very strong vertical columns though, and I was not sure that was the look I desired. So I traded out the blocks. I put the white background blocks into the blue columns, and the blue background blocks into the white columns, shown below.

I do think I like this better. It seems more visually interesting. Just for kicks and giggles, I laid the blocks out straight rather than on point to see what diagonal lines would look like.

Meh. Not what I want, so I am going with that previous look. I will calculate how many more of all these blocks I need, then proceed with making them. As I go, I am sure I will be brainstorming the side and corner triangles. I have plenty of each fabric remaining, and I fully intend that the blue polka dot will ultimately serve as those bordering triangles.

I definitely enjoy the challenge of creating a quilt using the fabric I have on hand. The goals are simple for me - make optimal use of the pretty stuff - in this case, the delicate florals - and set it all together so that the quilt on the bed will be as pleasing as possible.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. I like the 2nd setting best also, she's going to be another beauty! 9 patch blocks are so much fun to make, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be a beautiful quilt, like the second setting

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!