Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Pine Tree Progress

For the past couple of days I have been at a quilt retreat with the Frankfort Girls. I brought all the fabric and all the bits for my pine tree quilt to work on. I determined that I would spend at least a day on it and in that time I have made the following progress. Click here for some history and earlier work on the quilt.

First, I went ahead and cut all the 3-inch HSTs down to 2.5-inch HSTs. I didn't think I could stand to waste all that fabric, but in the long run, I knew I would be happier with the block made with those smaller triangles. I am glad I did it.

Then I made a sample block, which you see above. Quite the mix of green, isn't it? As a stand-alone block, it is not at all pretty. However, it is my hope that when I have 20 or 30 blocks, I will have a quilt that looks like a dense Rocky Mountain forest. We shall see if that proves true.

Here is the pile of trimmings taken off the HSTs. Not so awful. The final product will be worth it, I hope.

Back in June, I made this block, and while I like it a lot, I really wanted all green to mimic that density of the forests. I will now need to find something to do with this orphan block; it is far too pretty to be left unused. Click here to read about that initial trial block.

The other gals here at the retreat have been incredibly productive, and I have a wonderful little quilt parade all lined up to share with you tomorrow. You will definitely want to come back to check it out!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





 


2 comments:

  1. That orphan block would make a wonderful label for the back of the quilt. Looking forward to watching your forest grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea to use the orphan block as a label. I like your forest block, it does look very woodsy. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!