Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Seeing Stars

 Here in Ohio we have definitely moved into three quilt territory. That is, three quilts on the bed at night! Brrrr! After a really warm fall, we have taken a very sharp turn into frigid.

So, that third quilt I am adding to the bed each night is this beauty finished about 6 years ago, Six-Pointed Stars. I took a long time making this quilt, and it has come to be one of my favorites.


Each morning when I am making the bed, this quilt is folded and spread across the foot of the bed. Making the bed is never a chore for me, as I love looking at a bed covered in quilts, and I love studying this quilt in particular as I fold it.

Since this quilt has been around awhile, I have a really long history with some of these star blocks. And I love seeing the variety of combinations - star points and star centers, that is. It is fun revisiting this quilt each day. No star uses the same set of fabrics and some combinations are really pleasing to look at.

I thought you might just like to see some close-ups of a few of the stars. So sit back and scroll, baby, scroll. For any of you who have quilted for awhile (more than 30 years!) you may recognize some old fabrics in these.











If I didn't have a gazillion other quilts I want to make, I would totally stitch up another one like this. It was entirely hand-pieced, and I remember packing up little baggies of fabric that I carefully cut with templates. It was an easy project to take on the road. I am sure I made my first stars for this quilt while at track and cross country meets, on road trips to my in-laws' house, and possibly a few vacations. 

Because the entire top was pieced by hand, it was an easy decision to quilt it by hand, too. That took me awhile. All told, it wouldn't be too wild a guess to say that I spent a good 15 years working on this quilt. I know that I finished it in 2016 because I entered it into our county fair that year.

This week looks to be devoted to family - we are visiting our daughter and new grand daughter today, and on Thanksgiving we are hosting the family feast. I will have to devote Wednesday to all manner of food prep and house prep.

I hope you are enjoying this week and maybe you can do a bit of sewing for me! Or, if you are busy elsewhere like I am, then just enjoy the work you have done on some of your favorite finished quilts!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





1 comment:

  1. Your star quilt is so beautiful! Quilts pieced and quilted by hand are true treasures. Enjoy your Thanksgiving day with family!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!