Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Feeling It

Let me begin by showing you why I've been away from my blog for several days. I now have another interest besides quilting. I had my GRANDMA hat on all weekend. *smile* 

We stayed at DD's while they went away for a couple of days. We had the pleasure of Miss Cate's company. What a delightful time. Also demanding and exhausting.

I needed Monday to recover.

Catherine Alice; 11 weeks.

Go ahead and say it - she is the most beautiful baby in the entire world. In the history of babies. Yes. That would be our Cate.

Monday, as I said was recovery day. Tuesday was cutting day. I have a project I want to work on while we are in Florida. The plan is to have it all cut out before leaving.

And that gets me to the title - feeling it. 

How many of you quilters have to be in the mood for a project? Or what do you do when the idea in your head doesn't really end up being as gorgeous as you'd expected? 

Back in the fall after I finished Lil' Orphan Scrappy, I determined that I would use the remaining William Morris prints in a diamond quilt. I further determined that I would cut the diamonds ahead of our month in Florida and work on them while we are away.

I was all set to begin cutting the diamonds yesterday, and piled all the larger pieces on the table.

Bleh. I am just not feeling this at all. There doesn't seem to be enough variety to suit me. I used all the neutral and red pieces from the collection in the quilt above; I am left with blue, brown, gold and black.  Bleh. Double bleh.

So I put it aside. I will think on this pile of leftovers for awhile and revisit later.

Why a diamond quilt? I made one for Cate's mother back in 2016, and it was so  much easier than I expected.

I've wanted to make another diamond quilt and have seen several recently while browsing the internet. One I recalled was on Pinterest made with floral prints. Maybe this would be the way to go instead.

From Pinterest

I have an entire dresser full of fat quarters that I have been collecting since the '80s. Plus yardage. Plus remnants. Plus scraps. Certainly there should be plenty of florals mixed into these fabrics for making a quilt like this. It seemed like a good time to dive into that vast stash and begin creating something beautiful. 

Go for it!

My fabric pull looks a bit on the dark side compared to the inspiration picture, but I am moving forward with it anyway. I did add more yellow after cutting this entire pile. I do not discount the possible need to add even more lighter fabrics as I move on through this project. (Or maybe just use less of the darker colors.)

The diamonds are big, and maybe I've cut far more than I need. I don't have a count. And it's anybody's guess how many I will need. I'm just gonna' wing it - in other words, follow my normal quilt-making method.

Packing for Florida has begun. All this along with the basic sewing needs will be making the trek south. It's hard to project just how much time I will have for stitching, but  I do want to try to make some headway on this quilt.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!