Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Orphan Blocks

Sometimes, especially when I'm in between projects, I find myself making a single block just for the mere pleasure of pulling interesting fabrics and experimenting with new-to-me patterns. 

This pretty 8" star has graced my design wall for going on two years, I estimate. I gaze at it often, and make plans for one day using it in a quilt. How lovely it would be! 

It has a big brother hanging out nearby, made even further back. It  is simpler, bigger at 12 inches, and no less fascinating to dream about the eventual quilt it will become.

It has crossed my mind that they could be used in the same quilt, but I am leaning more toward a separate quilt for each block. (There's a lot less math involved in keeping one's blocks a consistent size in a quilt.)

With a new year, and a new set of goals, it occurs to me that I ought to act on these quilts and stop dreaming about them!

To that end, I have begun pulling fat quarters from my stash. Above is my initial grouping. It will be fun digging around through drawers and tubs to see what additional fabrics I can add. Definitely some brighter colors should be added and more neutrals.

 When will I make these quilts? I have no plan. The projects seem perfect for one of several retreats which are planned for this year. We shall see.

Happy Quilting, Friends!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!