Sunday, August 21, 2011

Greenfield Area Barn Quilts

I wrote a couple of days ago about the book project I worked on with the Greenfield Historical Society. I would be remiss if I did not tell all the quilters out there about the really wonderful project the GHS sponsored a few years ago.

The Historical Society put out a really nice brochure detailing each barn, its location, its owner and who painted it.



 It's called Paint Creek Patterns. The Greenfield area comprises the corners of three counties. I live in the Ross County corner, This map pinpoints the barns in my vicinity.


Here are a couple of examples.




The quilt barns have been a bit of an attraction in these parts. I think more than a few tourists have come to the area to look at the barns.

It's kinda' exciting to be a quilter who is also affiliated with the Greenfield Historical Society.

3 comments:

  1. Great quilt trail map. I wish I had these details from some other areas where I've traveled. I write quilt related novels. Came to the "Quilt Trail Gathering" in Ohio back in May. What fun! Sorry I didn't have time to see more of these lovely quilted barns in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adventuresome, worthwhile project, and how exciting to be involved with it! I followed your Paint Creek Patterns link and saw all those wonderful barn quilts. How lucky you are to have so many in your area.
    Iowa also has a lot of barn quilts, but I'm not sure that many counties or organizations have done a lot of organizing, as you have. Great for tourism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your historical society sounds like a great one to be a member of.

    I looked at the map, and how fabulous to have so many painted barns in your are. Do the barn owners change them every so often? Are they up for high days and holidays? Aren't I nosey?

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!