Sunday, January 22, 2017

Stand Still

All sewing has come to a stand still.

When I am focused on sewing and quilting, I can generally ignore nearly everything else going on around me. That would include things like laundry, grocery shopping, vacuuming and the like. As far as I can tell, as I examine my 60-year-old tendencies, only one thing steals away my focus from sewing and quilting - and that would be reading. When I become engrossed in a book, I am useless elsewhere. This accounts for the current stand still my stitching is in.


Book club is this coming week, so a couple of days ago I began reading The Town House by Norah Lofts. The word "saga" is used to describe it, thus leaving me pretty-much useless for all other endeavors until I finish. The link above is to the book's page at Good Reads, and most of the reviews are good ones. I am enjoying it, obviously, as it has all the stuff I really love in a book: historical fiction, well-developed characters, engaging, well-crafted plot, and vivid descriptions that pique all my senses, breathing life into every scene. Written in  1959, it does not read at all like an "old" book. In fact, I find this just as captivating as Philippa Gregory, author of so many Tudor novels.

I have said too much; my book club mates will aleady know my thoughts about the book! We  won't need to have a meeting if I say much more.

Because I have been reading instead of sewing, I have not made any more Delectable Mountains blocks. I will show you tomorrow the first (and only) 2 of those off the sewing machine.

We Frankfort Girls met at Jan's on Friday morning, and I took an old friend - the paper-pieced lap quilt that I began hand-quilting at History Day back in early October. It feels good to get back to it.



This old UFO had to give up its spot on the to-do list when I began quilting Erin's Diamonds. I stashed it behind me here in the sewing room, thus constantly reminding me that it was waiting in the wings.

It will likely continue waiting - the stand still will continue until I finish my book!

Even though I doubt I will do much slow Sunday stitching today, I will still link this post up to Kathy's Quilts for her weekly link party. You can check out what others are working on; I'll be reading. *wink*

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. The quilt looks so pretty in the hoop ; continue enjoying your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy I know what you mean, a good book is almost impossible to put down! Is that Frankfort MI? My hub spent a lot of time up there as a kid, I believe his father had a cabin there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a good book to keep you occupied! I hope you find a little time for your lovely hand quilting too

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!