Friday, May 17, 2019

Another T-Shirt Quilt

In previous posts I have alluded to several commissions I have taken on, all of which are t-shirt quilts. A week ago, I finished the quilt top for Caleb. Not wanting to lose my mojo, I immediately began the next one. I had a full tub of t-shirts from a woman who'd been saving them all throughout her son's school years - roughly the late 80s through 2000. I divided the shirts into 2 quilts - little boy shirts will be made into 12" blocks; big boy shirts into 15" blocks.

Yesterday I finished off the quilt top made with the 15" blocks. This is a big one with 25 blocks; the finished size is roughly 89" square. Because I knew the quilt would be big, I used narrow sashing strips (cut at 1.5") and the border was cut at 6". I am thoroughly loving how it turned out.



On a double bed, this monster quilt has a long overhang. Looking ahead to the finish, I have fabric selected for the backing, so this quilt will go in the queue for quilting - hopefully as early as next month.

As I finished this quilt top yesterday, I was delighted when my final measuring worked out perfectly for the borders. (I really don't like the math involved in border calculations!) I admit to celebrating a bit when the last one was sewn on. That's a really good feeling.

Thursdays are now the new sewing day for Sharon and me. The summer schedule has been established! She had a great one-day project yesterday, which I intend to share here tomorrow. Hope you'll come back to have a look!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!