Saturday, May 4, 2019

Front Porch

I have collected such a full tub of what I call contemporary fabrics, and I have been increasingly antsy to use them. So a week or so ago, after browsing through some older pattern books I found one that interested me. Finally, the stars aligned - the right combination of pattern and fabric - and a quilt was born!


This 2003 Miss Rosie's Floral Quilts book by Carrie Nelson is what I happened to be perusing. I was looking at old books for inspiration.


This quilt grabbed my attention. The entire quilt is one unit and even with triangles, it would be really easy. As I read the instructions, I saw that it was a foundation pieced unit, and heavens! I don't mind foundation piecing with scrap fabrics, because there is some waste involved. I sure didn't want to waste any of this new fabric! I knew I could find a pattern that had this same unit which was made with cutting pieces normally.


This is a newer (2017) Carrie Nelson book and the cover quilt has this same unit used for the points on the stars. Below, I have zoomed in on a block and outlined the units I am referring to.


The unit is the exact same size, so instead of using the foundation piecing method from the old book, I used the regular piecing method from the new book. Got that??


Here is a closeup of one of my units in the deliciously color-intense fabrics. I wonder if this unit has an actual name? We have HSTs (half-square triangles) and QSTs (quarter-square triangles), so maybe this could be TTS (triple-triangle square)???  Maybe I have just coined a new quilt term.


I have made all the units I'm going to make, and now have them laid out on the guest bed. Today will be all about stitching them together. If you look at the bottom of the picture, you see a potential border for this quilt. I have very little of my dark blue fabrics remaining, but I would be willing to get yardage for borders to finish this quilt. I will consider my options while I sew.

I am listening to a good audiobook and the weather has been rain-rain-rain lately -- all perfect for hours of quilting.

Hope you are able to do some stitching today!
Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be a lovely quilt. Enjoy your stitching now since you're off for the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!