Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Another T-Shirt Quilt

You've been hearing about my efforts to whip out three t-shirt quilts for commissions I have taken on. The first, Caleb's, was finished a couple of weeks ago. The first of the Hardy quilts was finished last week. I finished off the second Hardy quilts this afternoon with a valiant effort on the borders.

I say 'valiant' because I did not have very much of the red fabric, so the borders ended up a bit narrower than I might otherwise have made them. I used the navy corner blocks in an attempt to save on fabric, and I am quite glad I did. The quilt needed the added interest of those navy corners.

I will backtrack a bit to provide history on this t-shirt project. I took possession of Caleb's shirts sometime in the winter. The tub of Hardy shirts came a few weeks after that. I waited until school was out to begin working on them. Basically, it boils down to devoting the month of May to working on these quilts. Rarely have I ever exercised such focused determination to complete commissions; I can be quite the procrastinator.

I've laid this second Hardy quilt on top of the first. The red and blue one is made with all the little boy t-shirts that were in the tub. I cut those squares at 12.5" and because there were fewer small t-shirts, the resulting lap quilt measures 48" x 61".

I have one more t-shirt quilt to make, but as yet do not have all the shirts I will need to complete it. My husband's alumni fraternity organization will be given this next quilt for a fundraising raffle. The quilt will have an Ohio State theme.

Next up for the three I have finished is prepping them for quilting. I have backs ready for the first two. I imagine I can find a suitable backing for this last one, and then I will be headed to that Tin Lizzie! Agghh! It's getting real here, ya' know?!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!