Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Something New

I really like knowing that I am not too old to learn new tricks - and that I have a desire to learn them!

I have recently been seeing some gorgeous images on Instagram of a hand stitching technique called kantha stitching. It's a form of embroidery with roots in India. The link is to the Wikipedia explanation and history of the term.

The Insta-friend I've most admired is another Jayne - from Texas and she spells her name correctly -  the same as I do. *wink*

We have posted a couple of messages back and forth, and from scrolling through her pictures, I have gained quite a bit of background on some social media groups doing little projects like mug rugs, greeting cards and bookmarks.

Don't you know I just had to give it a try!




I imagine I am doing a few things wrong, but for a first attempt I am thoroughly pleased with this effort. I have a whole bunch of DMC embroidery floss, but I think most "masters" at kantha use perle cotton #8. I have not yet figured out the finishing part - do I bind this? Turn under the edges and whipstitch? I have much yet to learn.

I intend to play around with this and try more possibilities. It's an easy thing to do while watching baseball with DH. If you IG, then check out some relevant hashtags - #kantha or #libertysocietykanthastitchalong are two that I found which contained beautiful inspiration.

Here's a shout-out to @jayneellender - my new Texas IG friend. She doesn't know it, but she has inspired me! She has been steadily producing simple scripture-based, inspirational greetings on her bookmarks and cards. Watching her become increasingly more confident and skilled has been a fascinating learning experience for me.

I hope I never get to a point where I don't want to learn new things. I can't even imagine ever getting to that point. I have a bucket list of things I want to learn - and this wasn't even on it!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





1 comment:

  1. That looks really interesting. Good on you for tackling something new, that is supposed to keep us young ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!