Sunday, March 22, 2020

BH 3 - Catching Up A Bit

It was inevitable that I would get behind on the blocks for Blockheads 3. I was thrown a bit when the applique block came out - week 3 or 4, I believe. Then that paper-pieced block, then that heart-shaped block. My tendency to prefer traditional pieced blocks revolted at all this variety.

After some reflection, though, I decided to chill out and reign in my judgmental side. I am perfectly free to create other 6.5-inch blocks to replace any I don't want to make. I can take my time when necessary like with the applique, but in the end I should just try to stay caught up.


And that is how I spent much of yesterday. It just so happened that it was National Quilting Day; DH was out during most of day, and I had nothing more pressing than to catch up with Blockheads 3.

I started with that heart-shaped block, number 7. I picked out some pretty fabric options and whipped this up in no time at all. So simple. I really don't mind it now that I've made it, and even though it's not "traditional," I will like having it in this quilt.


Then I tackled block 9. I'd selected the fabrics earlier in the week, so it was just a matter of accurate cutting and sewing, pinning when necessary, pressing carefully. All matched up reasonably well. Nice block.

The seven blocks I have made so far are laid out here on my cutting mat. The aforementioned applique block is started; I need to get it back out and finish it. I don't think I want the paper-pieced block in this. I don't object to paper-piecing; it's more a matter of how modern it looks with the rest of these blocks. My plan is to substitute another block in its place. No problem. I've got plenty of options.

I still need to make the latest block, too, which might just happen today.

On the working side of my life, I officially begin remote teaching this week. Yikes! I am quite uncertain about it, but I figure that my students are as well, so we will get through together. Everyone is dealing with different issues, and all of us are doing the best we can, right?

Happy Quilting, Friends!



 


1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!