Thursday, March 12, 2020

A Peachy Surprise!

Sometimes, from the depths of the quilting room, surprises emerge. Yes. I am a bonafide recipient of such a surprise, and it is wreaking havoc with my goals for this month, as I am working on it as opposed to the carefully considered list I had intended.


So, about a week ago, I uncovered a stack of 4-patch blocks that I absolutely could not remember making. I recognized the fabric, but why? When? It completely mystified me. Bit by bit, a glimmer of recollection formed, and I am pretty sure I remember doing them. I cut one 2.5-inch strip from a large (yardage-wise) peach fabric and one from a creamy neutral. I was testing the stitching on the Featherweight I had just bought, and needed some simple stitching. These 4-patches were that simple stitching.

I then moved on to a near-year's worth of other things, and these little darlings were buried under all manner of sewing room debris. Yes, I will say debris. I do tend to collect "stuff" in this space.

And then, in a fit of tidying up, SURPRISE!! I found them. Loved them! Wanted to do something with them! But what? My first thought was to just make a big ol' quilt top with these and an alternate block - maybe an hourglass. That would require finding 2 complimenting fabrics.


This takes me to Monday, when I trekked to Columbus to meet two dear friends for lunch and shopping at Red Rooster. Dee and Sharon and I go back to our early teaching days at CHS. While we are now all retired, we still find a way to stay connected and we meet a couple of times a year when possible. Click here to see a similar day we shared in 2018. In the back of my mind, I planned to search for two fabrics to coordinate with my little peachy 4-patches.

But I forgot to take the 4-patches with me, so I had to "match" them with only my mental recollection of the color. Hmmm...not good. I have never been overly successful with this sort of thing.


Undeterred, I pulled two bolts off the clearance shelves. These two look good together, and with a whim and a prayer, I hoped they would also work with my little 4-patches. I carried them around awhile, thinking about them, wondering if they'd be okay, doubting that I could so easily find what I wanted. After all my careful considerations, I took the plunge and bought 2 yards of each.


Woo-hoooo! The thrill of victory is a thing, people!! I mean it! This has worked out better than I ever imagined it would! I can totally make this work, so I made a few hourglass blocks and proceeded to play around with options.

Totally sticking with my original plan, I laid the two sets of blocks out alternately, as shown above. Looks good. I can see that secondary design forming of the orange chains which would span diagonally across the quilt. Nice.


I played around a little further, and made a more square layout hoping to see  more of the diagonal design. Instead, what I see looks like a candy wrapper or a 'popper' that you twist open for a surprise.

I then tried changing the orientation of the hourglass blocks. Oh my goodness! A star is born!


No doubt, this is what I want. I do intend to change out that outer part of the hourglass block from the medium print to the background neutral. And that is what I spent Wednesday working on.


I am now on my way to a quilt top that was entirely unplanned, but oh well. I have so enjoyed this creative process. The way the top evolved illustrates the way so many of my mental pictures turn into fabric reality. Rarely is there a straight line from beginning to end; more often, many twists, turns, tangents and - sometimes - troubles fuel me on my way.


If all the blocks are places side-by-side, then an interesting 16-patch design forms where the 4 corners meet. Nice. However, look at the next pic. If I use the neutral as sashing, the 4-patch in the cornerstones, the stars take a more predominant role, and the diagonal line shows nicely.


So far, I have just these 4 star blocks made. I think I will make at least 8 more. I do think I am going to use the sashing between the blocks, provided I have enough neutral on hand. If I decide I want a bigger quilt, and if I have sufficient fabrics to continue, I might make more stars. It's a work in progress, for sure.


3 comments:

  1. Good on you! They say that colour memory is your worst memory but you aced it with matching your four patches. Love your stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job matching those fabrics! You've got another lovely quilt in the process.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!