Monday, March 30, 2020

Doing My Bit

Have you seen all the quilters and seamstresses who have been making masks? Patterns are being shared everywhere for these, and I have made a few to donate to the cause.

This little batch of 14 masks took me no time at all to whip out. The stitching is basic from start to finish. These are lined with interfacing.

I used up my original package of elastic, so I dug around in some old stuff from Grandma's sewing kit. I found some treasures.


The pink elastic has a price tag of ten cents for the 2-yard package. The other package is newer, and it was opened. Three yards for .75 - a bargain rate! It was pretty cool finding these in her sewing supplies.


This close-up of the pink elastic gives you more detail, if it isn't too blurry to see. The company is Cameo out of Massachusetts. I did a brief search, but didn't find anything about it; perhaps it no longer exists.

So this little bit will go to serve the greater good. I was reluctant to climb on board this mask-making bandwagon, as I was skeptical about the level of safety they provide. After speaking with my sister-in-law, a dentist, I decided to move forward with these. Her comment that any barrier is better than no barrier makes sense. These aren't going to be used in surgeries or the like. But if a hospital worker of some sort will be safer, then wonderful. I am not sure where I will take these masks. I have several options.


One nice side benefit of doing this is that I was able to use up scrap fabric that had no usefulness to me any longer. Additionally, I used some sew-in interfacing that never gets used. I am paring down, if only in small increments.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you! I have masks on my TO DO list as well - a nearby seniors home is asking for 1,000 as a precautionary measure so my circle of friends is kicking into action.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!