Monday, March 2, 2020

Lake Effect Update

I don't often bring you updates on Lake Effect because all the work I do looks exactly like the last bazillion pictures I shared. My work is slow and steady, and seems never to make inroads toward completion, but it IS happening, trust me.


The last I did on this was Friday when all the Frankfort Girls met at Helen's house. I am appliqueing the vines which appear on the inner panel and middle border of Lake Effect. This step intimidated me immensely until I learned a wonderful applique technique called back-basting. It has changed my long-held opinion of applique, and I can see myself getting more and more proficient. My most difficult aspect is turning those deep curves. There always seems to be a frayed bit that won't behave.

It has been awhile since I last shared this project, so let me run a picture of the pattern here, and then some pictures of my earlier work.





I am linking up with the ever-gracious Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for her weekly installment of Slow Sunday Stitching. Some of the featured blogs cover all manner of handwork - quilting, piecing, cross stitching, knitting, and more. Have a look!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. I don't ever remember seeing the Lake Effect pattern before. I like your bird block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne, your Kaffe piece is so beautiful. As is Lake Effect too. Your appliqué is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tight curves can be challenging, I have trouble with them too. Your applique looks great, this is going to be such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!