Sunday, March 29, 2020

Scrapping Right Along

Many quilters know about leaders and enders, that technique made famous by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville in which you are always sewing - never cutting the threads at the machine - here is Bonnie's explanation. I'm not a purist about this, but I try to do it as often as possible. For example, when I'm making a Blockheads block or one for the sew along we Frankfort girls are doing, I reach for 2-inch blocks for the scrappy quilt I've been working on.


Consequently, I have a good-size stack of 4-patch blocks piled off to the side of my sewing table. I cut a whole bunch of triangles of red and white, for the first round of the square-in-a-square blocks I'm making. Trimming them is always satisfying; they line up so nicely when sized properly with trimming.


Then I continued with the outer round of triangles. Then, these too, needed to be trimmed. Throughout this month, I have accumulated quite a few blocks and I think it's time to begin sewing rows together.


I have 30+ white blocks and 30+ red blocks. I need a whole lot more. I will make blocks as long as my fabrics hold out. Of course, the 4-patch blocks will be unending. The red is plentiful. The white, though, is running thin. I will either have to buy some (which defeats the purpose of making a scrap quilt) or substitute some likely similar white. I will dig around; there's a good chance I've got some.

So, as the month of scrap quilting comes to an end, I have barely dented the scraps available here. I will have, though, a mighty pretty quilt when all is said and done. Mighty pretty, indeed.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. You've got another month of sewing ahead of you. Judy, from Small Quilts, had a dream that we quilters finished all our UFO's during this isolation period. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Blocks are looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jayne from Maryland, USA. I just found your blog and what a delight! Thank you for a tutorial on your grandmother's quilt in the previous post. Your wonderful blog will give me many of perusing past posts. I will enjoy! I'm going to subscribe going forward. Thank you again.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!