Sunday, February 7, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

 Slow stitching this week involved my getting back to focusing on Lake Effect. This quilt will only get done if I work on it. I take far too many weeks off.

I love to do back-basting applique when the lines are nice and straight or gently curving, like the picture above. It goes fast; I don't have to work hard or concentrate. The black stitching is the other side of the stem or vine that I am appliqueing. Stitching big stitches like this leaves a dotted line where the applique stitches will go. I cut away about 5 of the black stitches, and the same amount of top fabric. Then with my needle fold under the seam allowance and stitch on the dotted lines left by the basting thread.

Now, deep curves still give me troubles, so when I get to sections like the next two pics show, I have to be fussy and take my time.

One little branch protruding off the main vine. Do you see the black basting stitches on the top of the vine? Lots of little protruding branches. Yippee.

This picture shows more deep curves created by those branches. I guess I am getting better at it, but I am glad I am not making anything more involved than this, you can bet your bottom dollar!

I am linking up with the Slow Sunday Stitching party over at Kathy's Quilts. I am heading over there now to check out the projects. Hint: it features a celebration of embroidery!

Have a great Sunday and a fantastic week!

Happy Quilting, Friends!







3 comments:

  1. Your appliqué work is amazing! I’m looking forward to seeing the entire project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Lake Effect is fabulous. I look forward to seeing how your lovely project progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very clever trick! I'm putting that idea in my tool box. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!