Saturday, February 20, 2021

Red and White Dreams

It may be a firmly held belief among quilters that the red and white quilt is the loveliest of all.

Sigh. 

Back in 2011, the American Folklore Museum featured this beautiful color combination with a spectacular exhibit called "Infinite Variety, Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts." Below is a widely distributed picture of the event and it's massive variety. Wouldn't this have been an impressive sight to see in person?

A quick search of Pinterest or hashtags on IG will surely bring up thousands of examples of red and white quilts to admire and enjoy. That is exactly how I came across a quilt that had me smitten from the very first time I saw it. I shared it last month when I listed my goals for 2021

 I did a little searching and discovered that it is actually a pattern by Cotton Way. Had I not already begun the effort to create replicas of these blocks, I would have bought the pattern.  I certainly have bought my fair share of Cotton Way patterns as well as her daughter's patterns, Thimble Blossoms. I probably should have just bought the pattern, but gosh, the blocks already exist in my possession - it's just a matter of hunting them down in the sizeable book, magazine, and pattern collection I already have.

Earlier this week, I just couldn't stop thinking about this quilt, so I began pulling fabrics for the someday (this year!) when I would make it. I teased a little with this picture. 

 Well, scroll on, for I have succumbed to the temptation of 'let's start another project.'

My neutral and one of the red fabrics.

 
More of the reds; lots of variety!
I have had such an entertaining day making two of the blocks in this quilt. Have a look. 


I found both of these blocks in the very helpful book by the late Judy Hopkins, 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks.

 

While I don't think I need to continue on this quilt until I finish a couple of more pressing projects, I am glad to have spent a wintry morning (and afternoon!) playing in the fabric and prepping for a much-anticipated quilt.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



5 comments:

  1. Your block looks very nice, this is going to be a beautiful quilt. Red & white quilts are lovely but I have to disagree, blue & white quilts are the most awesome! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, on any given day, I will be in the blue and white camp with you!! 😉

      Delete
  2. This is going to be a beautiful quilt. I had just looked at my book from the Infinite Variety quilt show, and wished, once again, that I could have seen that show in person. I will enjoy watching your progress on your red and white quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! You own the book! Since it is out of print, the online prices were high, in my opinion. Lucky you! But yes, seeing that in person would have been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made a red & white quilt but I can really understand the pull to make one. There are plenty in the collection of the American Museum, Bath UK but not nearly so many as in that breath-taking photo of the American Folklore Exhibition. I think the Judy Hopkins book would be the quilt book I'd want to keep more than all my others - so useful.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!