Friday, February 12, 2021

T-Shirt Quilt Commission

It's been over a year since I last did a t-shirt quilt. The one I just accepted is from a repeat customer. The first one was for her college graduate a few years ago; this one is for an upcoming high school graduate. May 1st is my deadline; I have determined that I will not procrastinate on this job.

I spent a good few hours cutting all the shirts, and prepping them with interfacing. Such a time-consuming part of the process, but so very necessary. All the shirts were in great condition - barely worn, in some cases - and I had a nice variety of colors. Above, all 25 shirts are placed the way we want them. I fired off a few pics to my customer for approval and she gave me the go-ahead.

The quilt will be quite large with 25 shirts; I estimate in the range of 95" square. With blocks that are 15" square, I won't need a terribly large sashing. I prefer to keep that thin in favor of a heftier border.

I found these two fabrics last month at the McArthur Quilt Shop. I will use the gold as sashing, with the purple tiger stripes as cornerstones and border. It also will be the backing. 

Next up is construction. It will all be rather straightforward. Bulky and huge, but definitely standard construction.

In addition to spending time on this project, I have been working on something else. Sharon and I have cooked up a little sew-along with our friend Dee who lives approximately three hours from us. As long-time friends, we are going to sew together in a virtual manner - you know, Covid has taught us all new ways of spending time together. I will share all the details tomorrow.

Happy Quilting, Friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!