Tuesday, April 6, 2021

An Unplanned Finish

Yesterday, I went to work preparing to complete my number one goal for the week. I want to finish the T-shirt quilt and let my customer know that it is ready to be picked up. The quilt top has been finished since the end of February, so all that remains is to get it onto the long arm and quilt it.

Long arming is becoming somewhat less intimidating with each quilt I quilt on the machine. It seems as though practice really does help, as I knew it would. Having less time lapse between quilts is also good, for it keeps the skills fresh.

The last quilt to be completed on the long arm was Meadow Lily, the wedding gift I made for our neighbors' daughter. I knew when I took that quilt off of the frame, the entire machine needed a thorough cleaning of lint and dust, a needle change, and oiling. These things HAD to be addressed before doing a quilt for a paying customer.

As I completed these maintenance tasks, I had the idea that instead of loading the commission quilt, I ought to do some little quilt of my own first. Working out the kinks on my own quilt is preferable to doing that on a customer's quilt. Turns out, this was a good idea; I need to deal with some tension issues that make stitches that look like eyelashes on the quilt. 

This looks pretty bad, but it only began getting this bad toward the end of the quilt. At the beginning, it was pretty decent, as you can see in the next picture.


I will get my manual out, make whatever adjustments it recommends, then I might just do one more little trial quilt of my own before going ahead with the commission. 

Now, the happy news is that these 'eyelash' stitches don't bother me in the least on my own little quilt. Made from leftover fabrics, this little quilt has been awaiting quilting for years; I can live with little imperfections on my own quilt. All good - and it get one more thing finished and removed from the sewing room.

Another bonus from the entire effort is that I got to practice my freehand stippling. I tend to always do a loopy freehand design and I wanted to stretch my repertoire. I am rather pleased with the results. There are a couple of rough spots, but overall it looks okay.

While I was at it, I went ahead and put the binding on, finishing it completely. It only measures 22.5x26.5 inches; done in no time.


The backing is quite pretty. I wish I could identify the fabrics used in this, but it has been too long ago. Perhaps I will peruse the blog to see if it is recorded anywhere; if it is, I will add the info.

That's all I've got for now, Peeps! Wish me luck in completing the T-shirt quilt!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!