Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Retreat Highlights

 If a group of 5-6 quilters spend a week squirreled away together at a retreat, the blog post dedicated to telling all about it has the potential to be really long. I will try hard not to be long-winded, but there's just so much to tell.

First, our location. Nelsonville, Ohio, is like many little towns that are just off the beaten path. Once upon a time, the town thrived, but not so much any more. It could really use some revitalizing. One family is doing their part. The owners of the Nelsonville Quilt Shop also own and operate Needles and Pines, the retreat house. Yes, it is a house. What a great job they have done at setting this place up for quilters. 

Front door; split level; go up for all sewing areas plus kitchen and 3 bedrooms.

Main retreat room. Sewing stations, cutting area; ironing board; design walls.

Kitchen and dining area.

The back corner of the main sewing room.

Another view of main sewing area.

And one last look at the sewing area.

Looking down the driveway and out across the hills of Athens County; redbud trees blooming.

Retreat guests get special discounts at the quilt shop, which is located in the downtown area. I should have asked how old the building is; the tin ceiling is in beautiful condition. 


I will quickly (?) run through most of the projects we worked on. I cannot offer many details; if anyone asks for specifics, I will be happy to find out and let you know. I also know that I missed photographing some of the projects. It's hard to keep up!

Susan: Christmas quilt made with 12 Days of Christmas panels.

Susan: quilt for her little granddaughter.

Jan: using her (exchange) churn dash blocks in this setting.

Jan: after a lot of gnashing of teeth, she had a quilt top!

Sheryll: came to retreat with blocks cut and prepped for Kathleen Tracy sew along.

Sheryll: one block of the several she completed this week.


Terry: A patriotic wall hanging.

Becky: stitched together these diamond blocks.

Becky: EPP project coming together.


Helen: A Halloween quilt kit.

Helen: Another kit - summer picnic-style.

 

This post is already too long, and I haven't shown what I worked on. I will share my projects tomorrow. Come on back to have a look-see!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminder and update on Nelsonville. I did my student teaching there in the fall of 1964 - just a few years ago. If I get down the way again, I will certainly stop to investigate the quilt shop.
    Marcia in northwest Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and beautiful place for a quilting retreat! Here's hoping that others start to invest in the little town! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!