Monday, April 5, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 6


Whaddya' think of this logo? I fancy a budding designer is hiding inside me somewhere. I am sure I should take a class and learn some basics, but this will do for a total novice, right?

Doing a logo six weeks into the quilt along is akin to putting the cart before the horse, but oh well. Taking on tasks in a timely manner has never been a particularly strong suit for me, don'tcha' know?

Pictures have been coming in from participants in the Spring Dreams Sew Along, and I'm super-stoked to share them with you. Both feature ideas taken from the sew along with a different twist from the quilt maker.

Aunt Margie's Spring Dreams

 
Pam's fabric pull from Aunt Margie's stash
 

First, let's see what Pam has been doing with the fabric from her husband's Aunt Margie. Pam ran short of background fabric and to make the quilt in a size she desired she added borders. I'd been wondering how these quilts would look with borders, so I am glad to see Pam make this design choice. It looks fantastic, and I can very much see how this would enhance any of the quilts made so far.

Now, from Denise, you will have to look at quilt parts rather than the entire pattern. She explained in an email that she used the idea of sashing strips and cornerstones as a way of solving a problem she'd been having for how to set together the star blocks she'd been making.


Denise can explain it best in her own words: " ... your sew along 9 patch quilt gave me the inspiration to put sashing and cornerstones on this quilt.  I had made the star blocks a while ago and then forgot about them.  I was initially going to just sew them together but I didn’t want to create a secondary pattern and lose the stars.  The sew along came at just the right time." 

I'm so glad to have helped you out, Denise! And I hope you will show us pictures soon of your sew along quilt, if you are making one! *hint, hint*

Quilter's engage in this sort of 'idea exchange' all the time, I'm sure. Just the right picture, or magazine, or store display is all that is needed for the "ah-ha" moment to happen. I've heard quilters refer to their quilts 'telling them what they need,' or some such notion. It seems rather a lot of mysterious mumbo-jumbo, but I think there's some truth in it. The creative process allows for ideas to strike out of any inspiration point - even some unlikely and seemingly unrelated ones.

To close today's sew along update, I will share a picture taken of my sewing room door. I've got an over-the-door coat hanger on the door, and about a dozen quilts are hanging from it on hangers. For a time last week, all 5 of the Spring Dreams Sew Along quilts just happened to be hanging  there in front all at the same time - just begging to have their picture taken.

What a happy sight! From left to right, Spring Dreams Original, Patriotic Dreams, Lulu Lane Dreams, Scrappy Dreams, and on top of them all is Paris Flea Market Dreams. Such a fun grouping, and a fun pattern. I hope you are making one!

Have a great week!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




 


1 comment:

  1. Jayne, I have discovered that this is the perfect size for a card table cover.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!