Saturday, April 10, 2021

New Irish Chains

All those visits to the 1980s and '90s earlier this week were for the purpose of giving me time to complete my first stack of blocks for a new Double Irish Chain Quilt. At last I have finished them. 

Sharon and I worked on our Double Irish Chains when she was here Tuesday. She actually started a week earlier and was already sewing blocks. I was a bit behind her; I cut my first strips Tuesday morning, and have worked steadily this week to finish 24 blocks, which is what you see above.

The two of us are so different in our approaches to making blocks. I HAVE to see a block as soon as possible, so I make one start to finish, even though it means jumping ahead in the directions to do so. Sharon, on the other hand, is content to work through the process step by step, steady as can be, and see all her blocks at last, on the final step.

Sharon and her miles of strip-pieced blocks coming together.

 She did finish all her blocks Tuesday, and so I can do a side-by-side comparison of the variations in our colors. Both of us are doing blue quilts, but you know how blues are - as varied as can be.

The navy blue on top is Sharon's. Her white is all white. My blue is called Regatta by Kona, and my white is actually a white-on-white print. 

Is it crazy to want to do one in all the colors? I can see how gorgeous the quilt would be in so many different colors - do a search on Pinterest - they are plentiful, and all beautiful. *sigh*

My stack of blocks now await their connecting blocks, which are yet to be cut out. I have packed all of the parts into a tub to take to the retreat on Monday. Yes, more work on this quilt will happen while at the quilting retreat. I am sure to provide many details on the retreat, so stay tuned.

Before I sign off today, let me share a couple of pretty pictures taken in our yard. Spring is really popping around these parts, and I can't help but snap pictures of the glorious budding and leafing.


Redbud trees grow wild around here, and a drive along any country road will avail the observer to see redbuds in a variety of pinks and fuschias. However, on our property, we have never seen any growing wild, until just last year when we found one in the woods. DH has helped sturdy it a bit with a fence post and it seems to be responding well. Above that, we have one which we transplanted from my mother's yard. It has taken a few years, but at last we have blooms! I know these trees seed themselves, so we are hopeful that more will appear.


We have given up trying to raise tulips. The rabbits and deer devour them. However, one has survived, and she looks quite pretty showing off all alone. (I'm betting she'll be tonight's supper for some hungry varmint.)

Happy Quilting, Friends!






 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next up will be the setting blocks, but those will wait until Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't these one-two color quilts just plain nice! I'm doing a red/white Flagstone pattern and I too want to do it in all the colors-purple especially. May be next. And when they are so quick and easy to sew, I don't get bored or frustrated with the pattern or deciding colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JCH! Yes, I am very interested in doing more Double Irish Chain quilts in more colors. While I love the 2-color quilts, I recently saw a scrappy Double Irish Chain and - believe it or not - I am considering doing it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made several blue & white quilts using all the same blue fabric. They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!