Monday, April 12, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 7

 

Good Monday Morning, Fellow Sewists! Have you been making some progress on your Spring Dreams quilts? I would think that some folks are making good headway through the process - maybe even approaching a finish?? 

Please don't feel as though I am rushing you, though! We are here to enjoy the creative process of stitching beautiful fabrics together in a pleasing design. It's a satisfying endeavor, and it can calm the nerves and relax the mind. I just know that this quilt goes together so fast, that once you get started, I am sure you will be well on your way to a finish in no time. 

I was in need of a small quilt to practice my long arm quilting on this past week, so I loaded my little table topper version, Scrappy Spring Dreams, into the machine and gave it a quick, meandering quilting. Let me show you some closeups.

My decision to quilt this came entirely from my need to work out some tension issues on the long arm machine. Little quilts seemed the most efficient way to test out my troubleshooting efforts. The bonus is that one quilt from the sew along is quilted - granted, it is the smallest of the quilts - but a finish is a finish, regardless.


I am using the backing fabric as my binding, and that will be finished at the retreat I am attending this week.


 The fabrics used on the quilt's top are all scraps, and taken from bins definitively marked as scraps. In choosing backing fabric, I used a piece of yardage that really was not earmarked for any purpose. It is not uncommon for me to purchase yardage - especially when on sale - for the express purpose of a backing on some future quilt. It seemed fitting that this is exactly what I thought about as I pulled this blue and beige print. All good! Using the stash and the scraps! This couldn't make me happier!

Keep on stitching on those Spring Dreams! I will try to be more active in posting on Instagram; I invite you to do the same. Use the hashtag #springdreamsquiltalong. This will help us keep them organized and make it easier to see other Spring Dreams creations as folks work on them.

Let me also remind you to visit blogger Helen Philipps. It was a picture on her Instagram feed that inspired this sew along. She gave us her blessings to conduct the quilt along, and since then she has released a pattern for her pretty little quilt which can be found on her Etsy shop. Look for Spring Nine Patch.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!