Sunday, September 11, 2022

There's Always Tension

Just like the plot of an excellent novel, my story with this Tin Lizzie continues to offer up dramatic highs and lows. It's safe to say, however, that I do believe I am becoming master of this plot, and soon (hopefully) I will be able to resolve this tension and feel the master of the machine.

Ironically, (to continue with the literary theme) the tension is the very thing that gives me fits! That tiny little disc on the side of the machine does a whale of a lot of work. It controls how taut the thread is as it goes through the needle, into the quilt, and to ultimately clasp the bobbin thread to create a stitch. 


To prepare to quilt on Thursday, I loaded the machine and began stitching. In less than a foot of quilting I knew I had troubles. I could feel it in the way the machine hesitated. Rather than to go on, I had the good sense to stop and remove the top of the quilt from the take-up bar.

 


What a mess! Eyelashes everywhere! My tension troubles were epic. I am getting really good at stitch removal lately. But remove I did, and just look at the pile of thread taken from just a few inches of "quilting." What a waste.


Next, I went over that machine like a maintenance madman. Like any good plot, the action became frantic at this point.  Rising action?? Yes. I changed the needle. I re-threaded the machine. I dusted the bars. I cleaned lint from every orifice I could access. I oiled the necessary spots after consulting the owner's manual. I was thorough - very, very thorough. 
 
Obviously, a practice quilt on which to set the tension properly would be required. I grabbed a nice long scrap which I cut in half and sandwiched with some scrap batting. I loaded this practice quilt the same way I would load a real quilt. Then I began making adjustments. And do you know what? (Climactic point coming...) With ever-so-careful fine-tuning, my stitches began to get better and better! I got to a point where I was making beautiful stitches - both on the top AND the bottom of the quilt! (Cue the jaunty music!) Tension resolved! And boy-oh-boy, did I ever feel accomplished!
 

After reloading my quilt onto the Tin Lizzie, I went back to the beginning and quilted with confidence! It was a joyous thing, I tell you. This drama had a happy ending; your heroine faced and conquered the machine.

I now have this quilt bound and ready to reveal. I will share that tomorrow when I have some decent pictures. 

With this exceedingly satisfying victory, in her happy position as master of her machine your heroine loaded another quilt onto the Tin Lizzie the very next day. Strike while the iron is hot, as they say. And guess what? This process appears to require further character building.  While I won a single victory in my quest for mastery, more challenges await me. (Who am I? Bilbo Baggins?)

I am currently working on my resolve, and I will continue my journey. Enough for now with grumbling and complaining.

Have a great week, dear readers! It's a dreary day here, and I feel quite lazy. Hopefully, I will be able to accomplish some small thing today.

Happy Quilting, Friends!




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to resolve your eyelash problem. You're just going to have to practice before quilting every quilt to make sure the tension is set ok. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!