Wednesday, September 7, 2022

More Hexie Action

I had a reason for pulling out the flower hexies late last week, and working on that flower Saturday night (see previous post). I was preparing for a road trip and this is the small stitching I planned to take along for the road.

Needle, thread, scissors, templates, and bits of fabric were all that I needed to prepare a bunch of hexies for action. The dim hotel room room lighting turns white into yellow here, but you can see a bit of what the first day's travels yielded.

Can you tell where we went? That is Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals, as seen from our hotel parking lot. Our Cleveland Guardians were in KC for a 3-game stand, and we decided on very much of a whim to go to a game. Because we took along my brother-in-law, I was a backseat passenger, which ensured my having lots of time to stitch.

We had a beautiful night for baseball. We had an easy walking path from our hotel to the stadium and the temps were comfortable. I'd heard about how beautiful the KC stadium is, and it was as good as described. Really attractive outfield features - waterfalls and fountains! - and the friendliest staff ever. We had a great time. We got an extra inning of baseball, too, and - best of all - a win!

Now, back to the hexies. My plan was to make 12 matching hexies to add around these small flowers. I'd made these small flowers ages ago, and they were just taking up space in the sewing room. Sometimes I just make random stuff and because I have no immediate firm plan or idea for that random stuff, I end up with little projects just waiting to happen. Proof: many of these hexies were made in 2017, and I have all manner of "plans" for them, according to past posts! One is reminded of the squirrel effect. I'm afraid that Squirrel Club is one I ought to join.

I had already added the next row of hexies to a few. The one I did on Saturday night is at the bottom of this pile. This all seemed very doable with very little effort while sitting in the backseat of a car for 10 hours - both ways. 

Was it worth it? Driving so far to see a baseball game? We think it was. Our seats were fantastic; the ticket prices were rock bottom (KC is having an off year); and we had a crazy little adventure. What better way to spend a couple of days? That's what retirement is all about, isn't it?

DH and I alongside his brother Mike.

I have continued making hexies and flowers; some progress pictures might show up here later this week. Now that we are back home, I want to return to working on the William Morris/Lil' Orphan Scrappy quilt. All those blocks are now made. I am working on outer units which (hopefully) will form a  zigzag outer border.

Happy Quilting, Friends!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!