Sunday, September 4, 2022

Hexies For The Win!

Make that a win-win, as I made this hexie flower and our OSU Buckeyes were victorious 21-10 over the Fighting Irish. While watching last night's big season opener versus Notre Dame, I took three fabrics, a stack of hexie templates, scissors, needle and thread and stitched this pretty little posie.


During all the yakkety-yak of pre-game, I made fabric decisions, and cut out all the parts. I got all but the last three hexies attached before going to bed; I have finished it up this morning.

I like this layout of fabrics and colors; that outer row is fussy cut so I could take advantage of the mostly gray parts. Here is better look at the full piece - it's a Tilda fabric.

I detest wasting fabric, so I will likely not fussy cut this any further. Those florals are just too pretty to let go to waste. If I want a gray fabric, surely I can dig around and find some suitable all-over print that would be less wasteful. One flower doesn't waste too much, but that's my limit!

My fabric choices came together quite by happenstance. This tub had a small stack of fat quarters pulled ages ago (like over a year?!) most likely for some road trip we were taking. Not wanting to miss any of the game,  I forced myself to create something from the existing options. 

The two prints are Tilda fabrics bought in May 2021 when we vacationed in the Shenandoah Valley. The polka dot is a remnant from Spring Dreams, which I made last spring. In that linked post, I mention my difficulty in adequately photographing the sashing - well, this is the sashing, and it looks like the correct color.


The picture near the top is taken on our kitchen counter - light background. The picture just above is taken on the footstool of my game-watching/stitching chair - dark gray background. Isn't it interesting to see how the background changes the block? I am very far from making big decisions about backgrounds, but this could prove useful when the time comes.

I am joining the Slow Stitching party over at Kathy's Quilts. It has been awhile since I sewed with these lovely ladies; I am always inspired by the handwork they do, and the creative ways they take slow-stitching to new heights. Click here to see all the participants' pretty projects.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





3 comments:

  1. Your hexie flower is very pretty but what's happened to Lake Effect? I can't wait to see that beauty finished, happy stitching! Sorry if I'm nagging too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hexies are lovely, many years ago I made a hexie afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabrics that you used for that hexie flower. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!