Friday, September 30, 2022

William Morris Flimsy

Big reveal! Big freakin' deal! For whatever reason, finishing this quilt top became almost too much for me. Maybe it was knowing that my star points and triangle tips were "off" or maybe it was just so darn big - whatever, I really had to give myself a stern pep talk to get back to the sewing machine to finish it.

It has been laid out on the guest bed for most of this month. The troubles were many. First, I ran short of light fabrics, but determined to stay true to my promise to use the existing stash. Then, I found I hadn't made enough star blocks, so reverse myself and finish up 7 more of those. The outer borders which appear at the top and bottom needed to be made with lights and darks in specific order, so with limited lights, I managed to figure that out. Then the sheer size was daunting, too. 

 

Well, it is now done and hanging on the quilting room wall. I do love it, too. I see a lot of blue, which does not bother me in the least. I pick out some stars that seem pretty, and then I find others that are equally pretty. Gosh, I am glad I made this!

The pattern is Lil' Orphan Scrappy by Lynn Wilder of Sewn Wild Oaks. I bought it 3-4 years ago, and have listed it as a goal for most of those years. This year, it again appeared on my list as did a goal of using my existing William Morris stash. When it occurred to me to join those two goals into one, a great light bulb came on! What a beauty this would be. And, finally the goal is accomplished in 2022. Feels like a huge accomplishment.

Here are a few more random photos. And here are a couple of my earlier posts about making this quilt - here and here.



Can you believe I still have a lot of William Morris fabric left? How can a person make such a big quilt and not use more of this fabric? (I ask rhetorically, heh-heh.)

Happy Quilting, Friends!



5 comments:

  1. It was definitely worth finishing, this quilt is just stunning! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for the compliment! It turned out so much prettier than I thought it would!

      Delete
  2. This is a true beauty...what a keepsake this will be! I too love Morris and have a stash not cut into yet. I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be eager to see how you use your stash of WM. All the various lines are so dramatic and the colors are so richly saturated.

      Delete
  3. It could so very easily go on the long arm this month! I a getting better at loading quilts on, and while I've mostly been sticking to smaller quilts, I could psych myself up to do a big one!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!