Friday, December 9, 2022

Don't Judge!

You wouldn't dream of judging me, right?

Even if I told you that I'd had several yards of red fabric languishing on the far end of my cutting table since July? And even if said fabric has been languishing thus since finishing the red and white Double Irish Chain?

Red  & White Double Irish Chain; July '22

Calling it a cutting table hardly seems honest. Mostly it is a foundation for massive piles with a corner exposed for actual cutting. So, you won't judge for that either, am I right? Below is a typical picture of the "cutting" table - not current, but since this is the general state of things at any given time, it will suffice. That bit in the foreground is the only part fit for cutting most of the time.

 

These true confessions have some background which, in my opinion, gives merit to languishing debris from old projects.

When Sharon came yesterday for sewing, I honestly did not have a single idea of what I would work on. I have a couple of machine-sewing things in progress, but for one reason or another, I need more time to think about the directions I am going with them before proceeding. It seemed fruitless to start a Christmas project - I really don't have anything specific that I want or need to make. Likewise, it seems ridiculous to start yet another project that would require digging out more fabric and patterns which would add to the already chaotic space.

Instead, I began a quilt that I have had on my radar for several months; the inspiration pic caught my eye many months ago while scrolling Pinterest. I screen-shot it and have revisited it regularly. That red fabric stayed out on the end of the table because of this picture.

I'd cut extra 2.5-inch strips of the red when making the DIChain. And you all know I have a ready supply of 2.5-inch squares in my scrap collections. With those pre-cut red strips and the supply of scrappy squares, it was meant to be - a project ready to begin, and I could start sewing immediately. Perfect.

I sewed all afternoon. Oh gosh, what fun! Creating on the spur of the moment like this was absolutely heavenly. I did not want to stop. Also, I didn't really have to even think! Sharon and I talked and talked, stitching all the while.Total perfection. (Sharon had an equally simple project which I will share another day.)


 As I often do when making lots of blocks, I count out groups of 10 and clip them together as a way of easily mapping my progress. I have 23 blocks with red squares, and 24 blocks of multi squares. That was a good day of sewing!

When I lay them out, the beginning of the red diagonals begin to appear. It will become more evident as I make more blocks. I am absolutely chomping at the bit to get back to the sewing machine.

And this productivity may never have happened had I been a diligent, tidy seamstress who clears her workspace and puts things away. I knew that red was meant for this quilt, and if I'd put it away, I might have taken ages before beginning it.

I have no deadline for finishing this quilt; I do know that it might be finished faster than expected because I am enjoying the process so much. Whenever the finish comes, the details will surely be shared here with all of you.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. These are very pretty blocks, in fact I think I like these better than the double Irish chain! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cutting table mess...um...inspiration, needs a cat to truly make it complete. ;o) Thanks for sharing your scrappy double nine patch, I think you have just inspired my next leader-ender project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new quilt and possibly see one in my future! Smithcindyk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well damn. Another one on my list! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!