Saturday, December 3, 2022

Special Kay Quilts

When one member of a long-time friend group reaches a point where her family knows it is necessary to move her into safe surroundings, the friend group feels the absence of their friend immensely. Our group, the Frienzies, has experienced this over the course of the last nearly-two years, when our beloved Kay and her husband were moved to assisted living. Two of us (Sharon and I) were called upon by the daughters to please organize and share the contents of Kay's extensive sewing room and closets.

You can meet all the Frienzies in this post; it covers quite an assortment of topics but if you scroll down a bit, you'll see our group pic and be able to put names to faces. Also, type "Frienzies" into the search bar here and you will have a plethora of posts to peruse.

I've frequently spoken of the Frienzies here on the blog. We all taught together at CHS and as each of us retired, we made and gifted a quilt to the happy retiree. Kay was the first of us to retire; all our quilts ended up being from the same pattern - Christmas Confetti by Thimbleberries. Click here to see my retirement quilt.

So, getting to the point of today's post, in Kay's sewing stuff Sharon and I found many completed quilt tops that were just too nice to allow to fade into the oblivion that occurs when personal effects are sorted in situations such as this. Making decisions in this situation would be difficult for anyone; for the two of us, it was overwhelming. The one thing we were fairly confident of, though, was taking 8 quilt tops and backs (if available) for Frienzies. Sharon and I would finish these quilts for Kay, and give them to each Frienzie. With the exception of mine and Sharon's, the finished quilts have all been distributed. 

Last November, we presented the first one to Lyn. Click here to see that post. It was made with French General fabric; very pretty.

 

We took one particular beauty to Kay herself this last spring, and I wrote about it here. A picture from that day is below.

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgWJlhjArusCVGDjgGe6Fm0I71cZ3suyt3dtp5LaLCTUyulkvyTTQCiC2dFb4NcYNtF7VOl0eBA1tejOlX9LIAxsqiuPpU5GiPnJyU9mkkpZQAzll8jgvyvkg9Q_m7WKkMgHG8aRoPSb15mnpQ-PfjO7PrhmXhQKWqrsv_7kA-J9QjARwOp0SIyebw/s640/IMG_4105.jpg

Finally, the remaining Frienzies have been given their quilts. We got together on Wednesday for a luncheon at Sherrie's and we distributed 4 quilts. Typically, I forgot to take pictures, so I asked them all to send one to me. Here is the Parade Of Special Kay Quilts! 

Susan and her Special Kay Quilt.


Sherrie and her Special Kay Quilt.

Pam and her Special Kay Quilt.


Hettie and her Special Kay Quilt.

I did take pictures of each of these quilts as I quilted them, and I may share them in an upcoming post. It gave me great opportunities for practicing at the long arm, that's for sure. I will be getting the two remaining quilt tops out and ready for quilting in 2023. For now, I need a break. 

We all have quilt tops or WIPs (works in progress) and do we actually know what would become of them if the day should come that we cannot finish them? Personally, I hope some friends will take the reigns and do with them something that would please me. And I do think Kay will be pleased to learn how these quilts have been distributed.

Have a great Saturday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!