Friday, November 5, 2021

Introducing Cobalt Stars

I just love it when a quilt I "figure out" comes together as good as I had hoped. That is exactly what has occurred with this sweet little number. 

Yesterday, I put the finishing touches on this quilt that I created based off a picture I saw on Facebook. I was enamored with it for two reasons: one, it is blue and white (with pops of pink, purple and green), and two, it is made using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. I had to make it.

It is 62" square, so will do very nicely as a throw quilt or lap quilt. It is made with 12 blocks of one design and 13 blocks of another design. When the corners of the two blocks meet, a very interesting secondary design is formed, making this an altogether interesting quilt to study.

For as long as it has taken me to finally get to work on this quilt, I am so excited to have it finished to this stage, and am now considering what fabric to use for backing, as it may soon go on the longarm.

I'm sure there is a pattern out there somewhere for this quilt, but I could not locate it. After studying a screenshot from Facebook, I could see that it required two star blocks, and with all the reference books around here, I was able to find two that were sufficient for replicating the look. I did look for the pattern in my Fassett books; you saw in yesterday's post that I have many, yet I'd never seen this pattern in any of them. 

The two stars are pictured below. Let's take a closer examination of them, shall we? All 25 stars have a variety of blues for the large center piece, with a few repeats. Also, all 25 stars have a consistent background of white-on-white. For the first star, consistency is achieved by giving all 12 the same polka dot star points and a solid blue square in each corner unit. For the second star, a variety of blues are used as star points, and the consistent element in all 13 blocks is the 4-patch in each corner.



 

I have this quilt on my 2021 Goals List, and I even made a couple of blocks way back in January. Then for whatever reason, I determined that other projects should be dealt with first, so this was set aside for about 10 months. I never put it away, though; it was always in my eyesight and within arm's reach.

Because I spent some time perusing Fassett's books this week, I took a cue from him in deciding to call this quilt Cobalt Stars. He uses that term 'cobalt' in several of his descriptions and quilt names, so if it works for him, it works for me, too. It's a whole lot better than 'blue Kaffe Fassett star quilt', right? 

I am a real happy gal, right now. Having crossed another item off my goals list makes me happy. Having a finish makes me happy. Using this scrumptious KF fabric makes me happy. Feasting my eyes on this beauty makes me happy. I'm feeling all the feels, as the cool kids on social media say.

Hope you are doing something that makes you happy!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! The secondary design block is interesting too. Please get this one quilted soon, I can't wait to see it completely finished!!! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you're happy - it's gorgeous! You did a fantastic job on it.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!