Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Adding to Grandma's Quilt List

My cousin Ellen sent pictures this week of three quilts she has which were made by our grandmother. If you have followed this blog for the long haul, you most certainly recall many posts about Grandma - stories of our outings; her giving me all her quilting supplies; and sadly, her death in June 2015.

Grandma was a prolific quilter, and nearly all of my siblings and cousins have quilts that she made for us. My goal is to collect photographs of as many as I can and share them in the header tab at the top of my blog.

I am so very pleased to see this red and white quilt. It is so similar to the red and white quilt I made last summer. (Click here to see it.) Grandma rarely made quilts that weren't either blue or scrappy, so this one is quite a delight.

Now, the LeMoyne Star quilt above is an entirely different story. Grandma must have made 20 or 30 of these over the course of her life. I don't know for a fact, but I believe each of the 15 grandchildren have a quilt like this. And I have no doubt that many others exist, too. If our mothers sewed, we girl cousins have quilts made with fabrics leftover from clothes our mothers made for us. Grandma almost always paired a print fabric with a solid when making the LeMoyne Star pattern. This is just classic Grandma.

And speaking of classic Grandma - what did I say about either scrappy or blue? This Churn Dash has been featured in many of Grandma's quilts, and quite a lot of them are blue, not surprisingly. I have looked at the picture close up and I am pretty confident that this quilt has been machine quilted. This tells me that it is one of her later quilts. There came a time at the end of her quilt-making years, that back pain prevented her from sitting at the quilting frame. Any quilts we have by her that have been machine quilted are most certainly from her later years.

Thank you, Ellen!! I can't tell you how pleased I am to get your pictures and add them to the long list of quilts that Grandma made.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!