Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Switching Gears

After a week of building my little Village houses, I switched it up yesterday. I was feeling the burden of having too many projects started and not enough of them being finished!!


I needed to get that Prairie Vine quilt together. Above are the 16 blocks I finished earlier in the  month; they have been hanging out on the design wall ever since. Holding me back was making 25 9-patch blocks out of 1.5-inch squares. Ugh; so tiny! Well, I figured out a quicker way to accomplish the task that didn't involve cutting 225 tiny squares. I sewed short lengths of 1.5-inch strips together, using scraps from the Prairie Vine blocks, and mix-and-matched for a scrappy result. It went really well.


Above are my scrappy units ready to be stitched in very random fashion. I did the job in five groups of five, and that made it quite simple. I had them together in no time at all.


Next on the agenda was to cut the sashing strips, and I already had the fabric pulled - this very vintage Judy Rothermel piece from a line called Civil War which had been aging in the stash for far too long. And now I am in the midst of putting all these pieces together. Hope you will come back later in the week to see the results of this labor. I will go ahead and put on the border, too, but then I have the applique stuff to do. This step might take me awhile...

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics and colors in your blocks. I can't wait to see the quilt progress. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabrics in this project!!! It is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sashing fabric looks so pretty. This is going to be a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!