Thursday, June 6, 2019

Long Arm Learning

I attended a free class offered by APQS on Tuesday. APQS sells long-arm machines, which seems well-timed as I am gathering my courage to get down to using my long-neglected Tin Lizzie. My thinking was that even though I am definitely not in the market for buying anything, I could surely benefit from free information and possibly increasing my comfort zone.

I met a couple of sweet gals in the class - one from Columbus and one from Dayton. Meeting quilters is always fun, I have found. There were several attendees who were very interested in buying, and several husbands came along, which I guess makes sense if they are going to invest such big dollars.



The two pictures above feature one table with two machines set up on it. After we had listened from our seats, we were invited to gather around the tables to watch the two reps demonstrate the various features of the machines, from the lower end up. After that, we were encouraged to take test drives on all the machines. It was really fun.

The other table featured the two bigger machines. And one of these had the computer set up for demonstrating. It was all quite informative. Learning about things I can possibly advance to (if I just get started!) motivates me to action!

Note the table above and compare it to the one in the first two pics. This one is "beefier" as the one fellows said. I hadn't noticed until he made note of it. Wow, what a strong, sturdy table. It makes me think about why you would go with the nicest you could afford, because you will be rewarded with ease of use.

Personally, I learned that I probably need to raise up my table a few inches. These tables were set taller than mine, and I am a tall woman, so I am going to get DH to help me raise the height and get it properly leveled.

Another thing I learned is to dust it regularly. I keep mine covered with a sheet when not in use, but still I think lint, threads and dust could be affecting the performance. Actually, that is what may be the cause of my current situation with the hesitating I described in the last post.

And speaking of my current situation, I removed the stitches last night, and did some adjusting and trouble-shooting, but still I have hesitation.


Here is a little section of what I stitched, and since the boo-boos are hard to see, below I have darkened and pointed with arrows to some of the offending stitches.


Then I spent a fun hour or so picking all of it out. Then I stitched in the edges hoping that my tinkering would have fixed the hesitation, but alas, nope. Still hesitating. Still getting skipped stitches as a result. I think I need a professional.


This dejects me a bit. But I will push on. I have to as I have those t-shirt quilts to finish! I am making this a priority.

Happy Quilting, Friends!








1 comment:

  1. When you raise your frame, it should be above your waist. When we raised mine, my husband brought in his car jack so it didn't throw everything out of alignment and put stress on the frame and machine. Level it front, back, middle and sides. It took about an hour to get it perfect, but it took care of the hesitation in my machine. Also while I was stitching, he checked to make sure the stitch regulators were rolling. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!