Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Tag Sale and Weathervane

On Monday Sharon was here for a day of sewing. Her new schedule for sewing makes Monday our day now; we had been sewing on Thursdays. Anyway, she brought some old fat eighths of a 3 Sisters line of fabric called Double Chocolate. Yeah, it's really old stuff, but still absolutely gorgeous. Sharon said she was "playing" - using beautiful fabric in a fun pattern, Tag Sale. She wanted to cut a bit, then sew a bit, and enjoy her day of sewing.

Sounds like a perfect recipe to me! Here's the pretty results of her day. Quilt blocks fresh off the machine, stacked and ready for more.





The red fabric in this line clearly needed to be featured - I mean, look at that color! Since Tag Sale (older pattern by Carrie Nelson) calls for 5 randomly placed little stars, this is how Sharon has decided to use the luscious red. Looks fantastic.

So while Sharon played with Tag Sale, I finished a quilt top that I'd been working on over the weekend. For simply years, I have had this fabric grouping set aside for a quilt. I did not buy the fabrics in this grouping at the same time; they just all ended up in my stash, and over time, found themselves coming together for some as-yet undetermined quilt.


Also, for simply years, I have longed to make a certain quilt in this book I bought in 2000-2001-ish.

Finally, the ah-ha moment arrived, where I just knew my grouping would work for this pattern called Lavender Fields:


I cut it all out on Friday night; sewed the first 2 blocks on Saturday; did a bit of chain piecing on Sunday. When Sharon came on Monday, I was ready to make the remaining 10 blocks! It came together so fast! I truly was giddy with anticipation as I added the sashing and cornerstones! Now it just needs its borders, which I plan to attach in the next day or so (it's supposed to be rainy, i.e., perfect!).





I am over-the-moon pleased with how this came out. It looks nothing like the pattern, Lavender Fields, but the fabrics work so well in this design. The fact that I only needed 12 blocks was a definite bonus, as was the fact that the pieces are so big. After than teeny little mini-quilt (see previous post), this has been a welcome change of pace!

I need to get cleaned up and head out to a speaking engagement! Yes, the ladies over at the Frankfort Presbyterian Church want to see my quilts and listen to me rattle on about them. Can you imagine?!? I have about 50 quilts and quilt tops pulled out to take - all to talk about in a 30-minute program. Hah! I think I might be over-prepared! *wink*

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Love Sharon's fabrics, don't care that they're old. Lavender Fields is so pretty! Aren't big blogs fun to piece after doing tiny blocks! Have fun at your speaking engagement. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!