Monday, August 26, 2019

Back To School


It's been a 'heckuva' summer, and today I must head back to the classroom. This marks the beginning of my 10th year at my part time gig at Ohio University - Chillicothe. I began at OUC the fall after retiring from Chillicothe HS, and had no idea how long this side-hustle would last. I'm still going strong, and will try to continue for a couple more years.

Blogging may end up taking a bit of a backseat, even more so than it recently has. Why? Well, I have taken on an extra class, which will result in more reading and grading. Normally, I teach only two sections each semester. Starting today, I go to Chillicothe four days each week, rather than two. My courses are Developmental Composition, an entry-type class that prepares students who need it for the required Freshman Comp.

I normally reserve my wrap-ups for the final day of the month, but since returning to school seems to be a wrapping up of summer, I will reminisce a bit about all the fun summery things we did. There was a satisfying mix of chores around the house and vacation-type trips.

For home-related happenings I think I am most thrilled with my bedspread for the antique bed in Emma's old room. I had no idea how I would make it; I knew how I wanted it to look though, so I figured it out.


A day spent with my niece and sister, gave me a newly-covered chair for the same bedroom.


I made curtains for the screened porch out of drop cloth fabric.


We painted our kitchen table and chairs.


I purged several closets and kitchen drawers.


I painted faux windows on our garage door.


We power-washed the house. Gah! It was gross!


We cleaned up an old porch swing and will soon be hanging it on the front porch.


And those just are some highlights. We are always motivated to do jobs like this when we have a reason - this summer's reasons were numerous - we had guests coming on three different occasions. That's what motivates us!!

As far as quilting goes, I have mostly made t-shirt quilts! Four of them to be exact. I also dug out a UFO and finished it up, and made a mini-quilt with the Frankfort girls. I continue to work on Lake Effect, as well. Here are some repeat shots of the afore-mentioned projects.

Six Degrees - the UFO
Mini-Quilt - Simple Friendships 2
T-shirt quilt #1
T-shirt quilt #2
T-shirt quilt #3

T-shirt quilt #4
Whew! Is it any wonder my blogging has fallen behind? I have not even begun to take stock of the little trips we took and the books I read. But now I need to get myself on the road - can't be late for class on the first day! I will finish this 'trip down memory lane' post tomorrow.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. You've had a very busy summer with a lot of neat projects and quilts completed. Congrats! on all that you accomplished. Have a wonderful school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great school year. I have a friend who is 75 and still going strong at her Community College teaching. ME - I left the work world 20 years ago this last March but worked 38 years and that was all the body would take! Quilting is now number 2 - Hubby number 1!
    Have a good year and hoping we continue to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!