Sunday, August 11, 2019

Center Panel for Lake Effect

Finally, I am ready to show you some tangible progress on my Lake Effect quilt. Now, if you know the pattern, you will know that I am apparently directionally challenged. The pattern shows the bird on the other side of the panel, and the branches pointing in the opposite direction. It does not matter, but I did want to acknowledge that little discrepancy. 


I am thrilled with how it looks. For as fearful as I was to tackle the applique sections on this quilt, I sure did not expect to have this turn out so well. I find that I am actually looking forward to getting a start on the outer sections of applique. This is a total turn-around in my attitude toward applique. And a welcome one, too.

A few weeks back, I took my final stitches on this  panel, and just recently took the time to trim and press. Now I am working on fitting the elongated hexis around it. All by hand. 


I have not been following the pattern directions very well, and I hope this does not result in aggravation and the possibility of ripping out stitches. I did not make any partial hexies, as the instructions say to do. Instead, I am going to use the extra hexies I have made and cut them down. Yes, the opening shown above is going to be trimmed/widened. The current opening is too small, but when trimmed within a half-inch of the size, it should be a perfect fit. I trust that I am a seasoned enough seamstress that I can get it all to come together. 

This whole process has slowed quite a bit. Summer activities have infringed on what time I might otherwise be devoting to this project. The work does continue, though, and I do like seeing progress.

I will link up today with Kathy's Quilts and her regular Sunday party, Slow Sunday Stitching. Hope you will jump over there to have a look around.

My afternoon will involve attending a bridal shower for my nephew's wife-to-be. Their wedding is next month. I wonder if you can guess what they will be getting?? *grin* Pictures will have to wait, you know...

Happy Quilting, Friends!

6 comments:

  1. Your applique center looks so nice! I'm also directional challenged when doing applique but I just figure it makes my project more mine. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your applique center, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is going to be wonderful Jayne - just love it. And your applique is beautiful - I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see your pretty applique and hear that you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... how pretty. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I like this pattern! Looks like fun and a lot of hand work! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!