Friday, August 2, 2019

Bird On A Limb

We Frankfort Girls met this morning at Becky's for fellowship and fun. It never fails but what we have a great time. If you quilt and are not a member of a sewing circle, you are really missing out. I cannot stress enough how much these gals mean to me, not just as dear friends, but as motivators and mentors. We challenge each other to maintain our focus, to experiment, to step outside our comfort zones and grow in our craft.

And for me, breaking out of my comfort zone and actually working to learn applique has been a very positive step for me. All this is credit to the influence and encouragement of these dear girls.


My center panel for Lake Effect is now completed as of this morning's work at Becky's table. I saved the redbird for last, forcing myself to do those 'round' berries first. Ahem. Round is a totally relative term. I will trim this down, give it a serious pressing, and prepare it for attaching to the elongated hexies.

In addition to the Frankfort Girls' help, I have a cyber-mentor, Jeana Kimball. I am sharing my applique journey on Instagram where Jeana, a prolific applique expert and teacher, shares her amazing creations. I am forever in her debt for the step-by-step tutorial she posted on IG this summer. I watched and re-watched them. She even commented on some of my pictures and offered advice. I cannot thank her enough for this.

So my morning with the Frankfort girls was fruitful. The girls had several show and tell projects which I am currently editing, and hopefully will be posting in a day or two.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. I envy you having a small group of quilters to work with - I tried it two different times but we didn't mesh right, there was no closeness between us - if you showed up you showed up but there was no staying in touch otherwise, no friendship involved - not the group for me - I thought for awhile it was just me but then I came to realize not one was friends with another outside of the meeting day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bird looks great! And berries aren't perfectly round in nature. :) I'm looking forward to seeing your hexies around the panel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayne, you are coming along with applique! Circles can be difficult. I finally broke down and I use Karen Kay Buckly's mylar circles - they are not very expensive and really make them look great. Other than that, I am a traditional needle turn appliquer, no glue, etc.
    Hugs and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeana Kimball is an amazing appliquer and person! I am so glad to see your shout out to her!
    Berries....being a not so perfect applique person (so unlike Jeana) I LOVE the not so perfectly round berries!!! I think they add whimsy and charm.
    Sincerely delighted you found a method to applique that works for you!
    Enjoy your blog entries....djb

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!