Thursday, August 15, 2019

Cross-Body Bag

Sometimes, a gal has to mix it up a little bit. I have been putting off things right and left, lately, and last evening I jumped into making a bag without hesitation.

The prompt for this wild hair notion was having an excess of bag/purse hardware in my possession. I had no plans for making a bag, but when a big ol' pile of D-rings, clasps and buckles takes up a whole storage tub, one must take action.

First decision: what fabric to use? I conquered this quickly - Kaffe Fassett. My tubs of this stuff runneth over.


I have no confidence when it comes to what constitutes fashionable handbag design and color, so I trusted divine intervention. *grin*

I started with the tree fabric, Verbena. I have avoided using this fabric in quilts as it seemed a shame to cut those trees into little bits. A purse or bag seemed more fitting. Then I added the paisley, Jungle Stripe. For the lining and pockets, I selected Spot in rust and purple.

Second decision: What size? I had a few requirements. One, I wanted my bag to be cross-body style, contain at least one pocket for my iPhone, not be too bulky yet easily contain my wallet, sunglasses, and perhaps a small notepad. Plus, I needed to use some of the hardware I have on hand.

I consulted a few online patterns to see general sizes, and created as I went. I measured out the iPhone pocket simply by tracing around my phone, allowing for depth. I sewed the Verbena fabric onto the Jungle Stripe, applied fusible batting for sturdiness, figured out the strap and D-ring configuration and the magnetic snap closure.


The snap required the use of pliers to push the prongs closed inside the lining. I used a skanky pair from DH's toolbox which left a mess on the fabric.


Before tackling the other side, I fashioned some little booties for the dirty pliers.


And it's a good thing I did, because look at the mess it would have left on my lining.


I have not tried to clean the the oily residue, but I intend to give it a shot. Hopefully I can remove most of it. Lesson learned: put clean pliers in the sewing room.

And now for some pictures of my finished bag. I am very happy with the results and will probably make more. I will consider quilting on the next bag and perhaps trying out a zipper pocket. Options are limitless.




Are you creating anything beautiful today?

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!