Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Ohio State T-Shirt Quilt

In between all the fun and games of summer, I have been grabbing some odd moments here and there to stitch. My quilting room productivity has dropped off, but the fun hasn't!

Yesterday I (mostly) finished this t-shirt quilt which is being donated to my DH's fraternity alumni association's scholarship fund. I say mostly finished, because today I will add a small border of the same fabric as the sashing strips.

Over the last several months we have been collecting used t-shirts at Ohio Thrift, Goodwill and other used clothing stores. Most of our finds were red shirts, and we really had to be persistent in order to locate gray, white and black shirts for variety. The very last two we found are in the center of the top row.


This particular block is a design I've never seen before. THE Ohio State University. All Buckeye fans know to emphasize the THE. Interestingly, just last night on the late news, I learned that the university has applied for rights to THE in its marketing. Now I've heard it all. *grin*


With just about all the t-shirt quilts I make, I use a cornerstone block to help keep my grid straight. I did not do that on this quilt, so I have a couple rows that are off a bit; I've been telling myself it's just a t-shirt quilt, and therefore it does not require precision. Still, I regret that I didn't go ahead with the cornerstones. Oh well...



I like the variety of designs we amassed for this quilt. At $2-3 dollars per shirt, we bought 20 total shirts, and used 19 of them. We got lucky when we found one shirt that had a useable front and back. That's rare, believe me.

Now to attach the borders, and set about quilting. I do not know when DH's fraternity plans to raffle this quilt, but I suspect it's soon, so I need to stay on it.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for collecting shirts for a quilt. Because 'ain't nobody gonna give up their team shirts' around my house! lol.
    We are fans.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!