Thursday, December 23, 2021

Gifting A Pillow

Yesterday, Sharon and I spent the day sewing, and we exchanged our Christmas gifts, too. I can finally share the gift I made for her.

I don't know if I've ever divulged this tidbit about my dear friend, but she loves red. Really loves red. One of the first quilts I ever saw her make about 25 years ago was a red and white Irish chain quilt. The most often-shared pictures between the two of us are red and white quilts. Last week we shared this picture from Instagram posted by our friend, Helen Philipps. That name may be familiar to you frequent readers. Helen has some history with us in providing inspiration. You may remember that her pretty little quilt inspired us to have our Spring Dreams Sew Along this past spring. And now she's inspired this last-minute gift.

So last week, while on the hunt for something else, I found a box of red fabric while searching through my grandmother's sewing stuff. I shared the pictures on IG, but not here. Now you all can see them.

Clearly labeled in a stationary box.

Large pieces with torn edges and 'fluff' - I'm guessing this was used in a Christmas display.


Completely full box. Old fabric; not top quality, but useful, nonetheless.

I knew instantly what my gift would be for Sharon. In fact, it was so perfect that surely some divine intervention occurred somewhere along the way.

I'd been in a bit of a quandary about what to give her. Our usual gifts are wine and fabric. We have both been faced with the reality of the folly of continuing to buy-buy-buy fabric, so I really didn't want to go that route. Discovering the red fabric instantly solved my dilemma. The fact that it was Grandma's fabric was extra special, because Grandma actually hand-quilted the red and white Irish chain for Sharon all those many years ago. I told you it was divine intervention. Full circle, I tell you! *smile*

Another bonus is that I am using fabric from my stash - previously Grandma's stash - and not buying more. I used some very vintage fabric in my Christmas tub for the backing. Remember in the 80s and 90s when vests were fashionable? I had a vest made of this fabric. The selvage indicated that I bought it at Joann Fabrics.

And, yes, wine was involved, too. I found the perfect wine bag while in Myrtle Beach on vacation back in September. It has our favorite refreshment motto on the front!


The secret Christmas sewing is done, and just about all have been gifted. Stay tuned!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!