Sunday, October 2, 2022

Welcome October!

October is here! What a pretty month it is, too, with fall color and crystal blue skies. I bemoan saying goodbye to summer, but October in Ohio is wonderful.

I'm a day late in welcoming the new month, but I have a good excuse. Yesterday was History Day in Greenfield, and after a 2-year hiatus (pandemic, ugh), I was back to demonstrate hand quilting.

I am embarrassed to admit this next part. The quilt I worked on is the same one I was working on in 2018! Yikes! I worked on it again in 2019 - here's that post - and it has collected dust in my sewing room ever since. I've not taken a single stitch on it since that first Saturday in October 2019. *shaking my head in shame*


The pattern is called Fall Foliage by Lynette Jensen of Thimbleberries; it is featured on the cover of her 2001 book September Morning. After extensive searching, I found that I made the quilt top in 2010. It is aging well, isn't it? *hah!*

Since I hand quilt so infrequently, I am often simply stitching in straight lines, and this quilt lends itself quite nicely to a gridded look. I used the outer surround of blocks with the gold centers as my guide to stitch straight lines diagonally across the quilt. I use the seams, tape or a lightly drawn line to keep lines as straight as possible. 

I am keeping this out in the family room for a week or two. I hope to make myself work on it in the evenings while we watch Guardians baseball - they are extending the 2022 campaign into post-season action be claiming the AL Central Division crown. We are sure hoping for a lot more baseball out of these young men!

I'm joining Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching link-up today. It's not all hexagons! ha-ha! This is more than a one-pony show over here!

Coming up this week: the September collage; a foray into making a baby outfit; apple-picking; long arm quilting. Come on back and see what I get into!

Happy Quilting, Friends!






6 comments:

  1. I think we all have very old projects hanging around our sewing rooms…. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And I even finished a whole bunch of UFOs in '17!

      Delete
  2. I quilt every evening when we watch Jeopardy, that is thirty minutes and it is pretty much in the ditch or straight lines. Started a week ago, did something similar in the first few months of this year, that quilt is now on the bed being used. So little things can make great action into a finish. Hope this team surprises everyone and get to the finals, so you can carry on quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I have stitched the last two evenings with television programs or ball games going, and I a slowly moving across this quilt!

      Delete
  3. Oh I hope you finish that pretty quilt sometime soon. I love the fabrics that you used. I have several of the Thimbleberries books, but not the one you mentioned. I love Lynnette's patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of Thimbleberries, for sure. She is frequently a 'fall back' for me when I am unsure of a pattern for a project or grouping of fabrics. A good while back, I devoted a post to Lynette Jensen; you could do a search, if interested. Thanks for stopping to chat!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!